Institute of Chemical Physics was organized in 1931, on the base of physicochemical Division of Leningrad Physicotechnical Institute. The first Head of the Institute was N. N. Semenov, Nobel Prize Winner.
Institute was created with the aim of "introduction of physical theories and methods into chemistry, chemical industry, and other branches of economics". The main achievement was creation of a new branch of natural sciences, chemical physics. N. N. Semenov defined the chemical physics as a "science describing the fundamentals of chemical transformations and the associated problems of substance structure". This notion indicates that chemical physics has a comprehensive character and it is not surprising that its ideas and concepts are using in all areas of natural sciences including biology and medicine.
New research centers for studying different branches of chemical physics were created during N. N. Semenov's lifetime: Institute of Chemical Kinetics and Combustion, Institute of Catalysis, Institute of Chemical Physics, Academy of Sciences of Armenia. In Noginsk Research Center, Institute of Problems of Chemical Physics was organized; in Moscow, Emanuel Institute of Biochemical Physics, Center of Photochemistry, Institute of Energy Problems of Chemical Physics were organized. The heads of these Institutes are disciples of N. N. Semenov and their disciples.